Handary is a specialist in natural shelf life solutions. Currently, we are looking for 2 Fermentation Scientists in antimicrobial strain development in Belgium.
- Separation and screening of strains, and development of industrial strain of antimicrobials including Natamycin, Polylysine, Nisin and Lysozyme
- Bench-scale high cell density microbial fermentations toward optimization of bioprocess parameters such as media formulation and expression development
- Benchmarking studies focused on understanding strain performance and meeting project goals centered around titer, production rate, and yield metrics
- Construct and validate high-throughput, plate-based fermentation workflows for screening/characterization purposes and bioprocess development
- Develop technologies and/or methods oriented around strain adaptation/evolution
- Optimization of fermentations and application of new technologies & strategies to accelerate and support scale-up efforts
- Collaborate internally with the Strain Engineering, Analytics, and Process Development & Scale-up Groups as well as externally with Handary’s partners to guide strain development, fermentation work plans, and scale-up efforts
- Establish a data management system to track fermentation-based data as well as implement statistical and computational analyses on large data sets
- Lead the expansion and maintenance of the company’s fermentation capabilities: procurement of equipment, build-out, equipment troubleshooting & repair
- Work with CMOs to facilitate the successful scale-up of in-house fermentation processes from the bench to commercial levels.
- PhD or MS in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Fermentation Science, or a related discipline
- An advanced experience in lab-scale and/or pilot-scale fermentations of Antimicrobials (e.g. Nisin, Natamycin, Polylysine, and Lysozyme) is preferred
- Deep aptitude for & hands-on expertise with various aspects of fermentation R&D such as media design, fed-batch & chemostats operations, microaerobic & anaerobic fermentations, strain evolution studies, scale-down fermentation technologies (BioLector, Ambr), and high-throughput/automated culture development
- Experience with implementing design of experiment (DoE) methods for strain screening/characterization and bioprocess development
- Demonstrated success working both individually and cross-disciplinary to balance multiple independent experiments/projects
- Solid fundamental knowledge of biochemical engineering principles including mass balance, mass transfer, reactor design, growth dynamics, and correlations between microbial physiology and fermentation/bioprocess performance
- Familiarity with various bioreactor systems and control software; fermentation-related accessory technologies; and statistics, data analysis tools, and data management software
- Excellent time management, experience managing engineers/technicians, and a keen sense for efficiently driving multiple projects in parallel
ANNUAL GROSS SALARY
Qualified candidates must submit a resume, in Word or PDF format, along with a compelling cover letter that describes your interest in the position and why you think you would be a good fit for the job. Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
EOE STATEMENT We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or other applicable protected classes.
Reference no: 42